Today marks the first day of the first full week of my second round of grad school. After having around 4 months off from academics, I was plopped back in, full force, last Wednesday (into French, of all classes..I’ve not been in a French class for around 5 years!). Here’s how I’ve been prepping for my return to grad school over the course of the summer..
- Chill: I took a good month or so just to chill out and not do anything remotely academic. The end of my Master’s degree was unbelievably tough, so I just wanted the chance to unwind, relax, and catch up on my sleep!
- Slowly but surely get back into academic reading: After a few months off, it can be kinda tough reading academic articles. About 6 weeks before starting grad school, I made an effort to read an academic work (book/chapter/article/report) for about an hour a day. I upped that around once a week, until I could easily make it through a single article in one go.
- Sort your stationery: Admittedly I sorted my stationery literally the afternoon before my classes started. However, I still made sure that I bought everything I needed. For me, that’s a ring binder and note pad for each class/lecture, black biros, a set of colored biros (to underline/make it all look pretty…if I can be bothered), pencils, erasers, a sharpener, something to keep it all in, and a planner. I picked up most of my stuff from Target for a fairly reasonable price.
- Get a good night’s sleep: For me, the worst thing that can happen on the first day of classes is for me to be tired. For that reason, I make a conscious effort to get a decent night’s sleep. I’ve found listening to rain makes drifting off a whole lot easier, so have been using the Rain Sounds app on my tablet to help me out.
- Stay healthy: As well as getting a decent night’s sleep, I’ve been vigilant with my vitamins. I take an array of vitamins for varying reasons, but genuinely notice if I don’t take them for a day or two. Over the past few weeks, I’ve been really working to get into the habit of taking them with my breakfast.
How do you guys prep for returning to school/college/university? Be sure to let me know down below!